Please Note: This list is intended as a guide only for instruments we typically hold in stock. Our stock changes daily, and instruments can be set up to your specification. We also often have pre-owned instruments available, taken in part exchange, available at significant discounts from new prices, but all with full warrantee. For these reasons, we do not publish prices here, but please call to enquire or contact us via e-mail.
Details, (Advanced, Antique, Handmade).
This list is a sample selection only of our stock, which changes often. Enquire please for further information. Prices in this section range typically from around £800 upwards. (Not all instruments are kept on the premises, please call for an appointment to view.)
- (Private Treaty Sales are listed below, see also 'Terms' linked below for details)
- Selection of French and German violins, enquire
- 18th C English, fully restored
- Lowendall, good condition
- Good old violin, branded 'C A Testore'
- Pail Bailly labelled, good condition
- Chanot, 1906, (finished by his grandson A Barnes in 1947)
- Thomas van der Heijd, del Gesu model, 2008
- Brian Cohen, 2004, Amati model
- Brian Cohen, Stainer model baroque set-up, 1991. Details here
- Caussin school violin, labelled Cappa, good condition, commission sale
- German violin, made for Van der Geest, circa 1969, good original condition
- German, Mittenwald and others, antique, various examples, range of prices
- French, Mirecourt school and others, antique, many examples, range of prices
- W. E . Hill and Sons, 1883, mint, sold with original shaped solid mahogany case
- A Hume, 1923, good example
- Stefan Nemes, London 1976.
- Caussin School, circa 1890
- Many others in stock
- Stroh-viols: A very good original and totally complete Stroh-viols 4- stringed model, with both horns, set up ready to play, with original case. Information here
- A Set of Handbells: Not our usual line but we have here a good set of Arts and Crafts handbells, made by F White circa 1920, 20 bells, in good condition, For details, pitches, photos etc click here
Private Treaty sales: We now offer for sale via 'Private Treaty' various selected instruments, and these are indicated as such in each category stock list. We are actively looking for high quality instruments for clients, and this scheme may be the ideal way to bring buyers and sellers together: click Here for Terms and Conditions.
- Jan Cuypers, Private Treaty Sale
- Joseph Kloz school, so labelled, Private Treaty Sale
- Mittenwald, circa 1850, fine original condition, Private Treaty Sale
- German violin, Mittenwald, good restorations, good playable condition, Private Treaty Sale
- *SOLD* Steffen Nowak, 2005
- *SOLD* Brian Cohen 2010/2011, del Gesu 1733 model
- *SOLD* Lawrence Cocker, 1973, good condition.
- *SOLD* French violin, imported by Hawkes, good original condition
- *SOLD* James Banks, dated 1824, very rare original example
- *SOLD* Kunze, 1920, den Haag, in good and original condition
- *SOLD* Podraig O'Dubhlaoidh, baroque set-up
- *SOLD* A Hume, branded internally possibly the finest example in existance
- *SOLD* Steffan Nowak, 2006, Bergonzi based model
- *SOLD* Bert Smith, Coniston, 1967, 'as new' condition, with many letters and papers
- *SOLD* English, school of Johnson, circa 1780, original set-up.
- *SOLD* Christine Marmy, Switzerland, 1996, Amati model
- *SOLD* Stanley Potts, 'Golden Period' del Gesu model (attributed to!)
- *SOLD* Arthur Richardson, Crediton, Devon, 1926
- *SOLD* Brian Cohen 2010, del Gesu 1744 model
- *SOLD* Brian Cohen 2010, del Gesu 1733 model
- *SOLD* Jean Mathurin Remy, Mirecourt, c.1820. Good playing condition.
- *SOLD* Kloz school, labelled Aegedius Kloz, with bow, case
- *SOLD* Podraig O'Dubhlaoidh, modern set-up, fine condition
- *SOLD* German, circa 1830, Maggini model, transitional set up, Private Treaty Sale
- *SOLD* Breton Brevete, c 1900, immaculate condition, Private Treaty Sale
- Others in stock- please enquire
Details: (Beginners and Student)
'Outfit' means bow and case are included, but either can be upgraded and price adjusted accordingly.
'Emilia Romagna' is a range manufactured exclusively for us, and sold only by SoundPost. Made from selected solid tonewoods, and set up / improved to highest specification. These models are not available anywhere else, and represent the best value for beginners and advanced students alike. They come set up with the best strings, fitted French bridges, ebony pegs, ( can also be fitted with Wittner smooth fine tuning pegs for ease of tuning and eliminates need for tailpiece with adjusters, additional charge) and set up optimised for ease of play and maximum tonal production.
Prices in this section range from £215, up to £1850.
All the instruments are 'Improved' which means that instruments have had bridges properly fitted, new posts properly made and fitted, fingerboards trued, pegs re-shaped and re-fitted so that they actually work, the nut grooves smoothed or completely replaced, a good set of strings fitted, and the tailpiece replaced by a good qualty German item. In the case of cellos, the endpin too may be replaced. For this reason our student outfits are more expensive, but our instruments are guaranteed to work properly.
Many teachers insist on our 'improved' versions, to enable the students to learn and play properly: musical instruments cannot be purchased 'online' and 'out of the box' or even from a high street music shop, and be expected to actually work. This is a 'specialist' service. We also 'buy back' when upgrading, or moving on to a larger size.
- (all in bold are specially recommended, as being of higher quality)
- Emilia Romagna, 'Cadenza'. del Gesu and Strad models, antiqued. Full size only
- Emilia Romagna, 'Encore'. Hand made with Swiss spruce tops, selected, 'lunar cycle' felled wood. Antiqued. Full size only, limited availablity.
- Emilia Romagna, 'Concerto', Antiqued. Full size only
- Emilia Romagna, 'Sinfonia', All sizes in stock
- Emilia Romagna 'Sonata' all sizes, Recommended, better quality, and usually in stock.
- Emilia Romagna 'Allegro' antiqued, all sizes, recommended, usually in stock.
- Emilia Romagna 'Veloce', all sizes, outfits, recommended for entry level, usually in stock.
- Emilia Romagna 'Vivace' all sizes, outfits, recommended for entry level, usually in stock.
- Jay Haide, antiqued. Full size only
- Heinrich Gill, 1/2, 3/4, in stock
- Some other brands and pre-owned part exchange examples also available, various sizes, all checked, set up, and ready, with 1 year warrantee
We offer violins, violas, cello and bass ( bass to order only), and guitars, in all sizes, in all grades. We offer part-exchange, ( but not on commission sale instruments) and guarantee to 'buy back' if trading up. We offer full warantee on all instuments sold from our shop, and offer a 2 week approval period subject to 'Terms and Conditions. All instruments are set up to ensure maximum ease of playing and tonal optimization, and many are 'improved' ie they have best quality strings fitted, better bridges, better accessories, better set-up, so may cost more than can be found on some internet sites, but you get what you pay for. It is necessary to compare 'like with like'. (We will not set up instruments purchased elsewhere on the internet.)
Buying and learning a musical instrument is a gift for life, never to be forgotten, and a skill that can be used in many social circumstances throughout life. They require no electronics, no batteries, no computer, and their is good evidence to show that it improves learning skills in other areas, eg mathematics and other subjects. By acquiring an instrument, although seemingly an expensive initial investment, ( although it need not be) and embarking on instrurment lessons, you equip your child with a most valuable 'life-skill'. Adults too can gain from the same benefits. You are never too old to begin. Come in and try out an instrument for yourself. In these recessionary times, it has become obvious that many of the older traditional values and skills are more necessary than ever, and real 'hands-on' music of all types is going through a resurgence right now. At SoundPost, we understand this only too well, and have always operated on traditonal time- proven values, with emphasis on a most personal service at all times.
We also give priority to repairs for customers who purchase from us, and include an annual 'health-check' for your instrument, free. We also give free insurance valuations for all instruments purchased from us. We also operate the 'Assisted Purchase Scheme' -enquire for details. Our personal service is 'second to none', and there are not many who can match our 40 years of experience.
SoundPost is a specialist stringed instrument shop- (we are the 'original Soundpost')- established since 1972. We offer sales of new and antique stringed instruments, from beginner and advanced student quality up to top professional instruments: ( We were proud to have offered for sale recently a fine 1732 Stradivari, now sold). We also stock and sell many and various accessories, some unique to SoundPost. A selection of our stock is listed on this site, but we also stock items not listed here- If you do not find what you are looking for, please ask. We are a real 'bricks and mortar' shop, not a 'cyber-shop', so you can visit by appointment to try the instruments or bows in person, and we offer an 'approval period' for most instruments and bows (subject to terms and conditions). We invite you to take advantage of our expert knowledge of instruments, some of which are listed on the website. We also present the fine handmade instruments by Brian Cohen, who has achieved an international reputation as a luthier of the violin family, and the finest classical guitars. We also sometimes offer the work of other British makers, selected to represent only the finest of British craftsmanship and lutherie. Also British makers from the 18th C, 19th C and 20th C, including Furber, Barratt, Walmsley, Luff, Richardson, Pyne, Chanot, Withers, Hill, Atkinson, Wulme-Hudson, Hardie, Voller Bros, and many others. We also stock many French, German and Italian instruments. We do not list all the instruments we currently have in stock on this site- please enquire directly for detailed information.
Please have a look through our various page links:
Not all products and instruments we stock are listed on the site however- so if you do not find what you want, call and ask- we may well have it, or know where to get it, or may be able to say when/where we can find it for you. Because our stock changes literally all the time, it is not possible to keep the website updated on a 'minute by minute' basis, so we prefer to list what we usually keep in stock, but this may vary. We are always pleased to discuss and advise. Opening times and all contact details, directions etc on our 'Contact' page.